MUSIC MINISTRY DIRECTOR, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Brunswick, Maine
Seeking permanent half-time (AGO Maine salary guidelines) Music Ministry Director to develop expanded ministry for all ages and to deepen parish spirituality through exuberant worship of God. Sunday worship with music includes a 9:30am Sunday Family Eucharist and 10:30am Sunday traditional sung Eucharist. Once a month, there is limited organ accompaniment of hymns at 8:00am Eucharist. The new organ was dedicated in 2013 and was built by the Faucher Organ Company of Biddeford as a hybrid with pipes for the foundation tones and a digital electronic organ providing flexibility, scope, and support.
St. Paul’s is a joy-filled Christian community for all God’s children serving Christ in the heart of Brunswick, Maine. Our vision is to worship joyfully and reverently, engaging all ages to praise God through a variety of hymnody and choral music with these goals in mind:
- Collaborate creatively with the rector to plan engaging, joyful liturgies.
- Build on the traditional foundation of our adult choir.
- Develop an expanded range of hymnody and anthems to engage both traditional and emerging congregations.
- Strengthen and deepen congregational spirituality through singing.
- Nurture and encourage singing of all ages.
- Collaborate with Christian Formation Director and rector to offer music that incorporates goals of our Family Eucharist at 9:30am on Sunday and intergenerational singing.
- Develop Junior Choir and offer music to support the 9:30am Sunday congregation and joint worship from time to time.
- Provide opportunities for new members to join choirs including Bowdoin music students.
- Encourage parishioners who play instruments to offer their gift of music for special programs and holy days.
- Collaborate with Brunswick community and neighborhood to offer a variety of sacred musical programs that are not necessarily associated with worship.
Expectations of Candidate for Music Ministry Director:
- Demonstrated proficiency in organ performance.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in directing choirs of all ages.
- Working knowledge of liturgical worship and appropriate service music.
- Passion to work collaboratively with rector and parish ministries.
- Able to plan for weekly and seasonal liturgical worship; able to teach and lead adult choir, junior choir and congregation.
- Desire to deepen spirituality of parishioners through a wide range of hymnody, choral works and engaging approaches to singing.
- Seek new and creative ways to serve the wider Brunswick community and connect with music students at Bowdoin.
Applicants please submit cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com no later than August 14, 2015. Finalists will be called for an interview by the rector, The Rev. Carolyn H. Eklund and the Music Ministry Director Advisory Team. Finalists will be expected to demonstrate organ performance and direction of adult choir during the interviews.